Current motor vehicle insurance law in the state of Florida

Rear End Accident picture # 1

We believe that it is important to share with you information that is relevant to the type of personal injury case that you might bring to us here at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. A significant number of the potential clients who contact us have been in some sort of motor vehicle accident, whether it involved a car, motorcycle, boat or truck.

This article is dedicated to sharing with you the most current information regarding whether you are required by state law to have insurance for your motor vehicle in the state of Florida:

I am registering a vehicle for the first time in Florida. Is insurance mandatory for my car? For my motorcycle? For my boat?

The answer is Yes for your car, but interestingly No for your motorcycle or boat. If you own a vehicle with at least four wheels and are registering it, you must have Florida insurance. Although this is not true for your motorcycle, there are significant ramifications, including loss of your license, if you are involved in an accident while driving your motorcycle.

According to Car, “Motorcycle insurance requirements for the state of Florida can be confusing. Motorcycle insurance is not required to register a motorcycle in FL. However, if a motorcycle operator is charged in a crash with injuries, then the owner or owner/operator is financially responsible for bodily injuries and property damage to others.

If no liability coverage was in effect for the motorcycle at the time of the accident, then bodily injury/property damage liability insurance must be purchased and kept for 3 years to avoid license and tag/registration suspension or to reinstate license and tag/registration after suspension.

So liability insurance for motorcycle is voluntary and not mandatory unless you have caused an accident but it is highly recommended to be purchased for your protection. If you plan to carry passengers it is also a good idea to see if you need extra insurance coverage for them.”

To read more on this answer please go to:

Boat insurance is also NOT mandatory in the state of Florida at the current time.

What type of insurance is required to purchase and maintain a Florida license plate and registration?

Florida’s minimum required insurance coverage to maintain a valid Florida license plate and registration for your car or truck is $10,000 for personal injury protection (PIP) and $10,000 for property damage liability (PDL).

To see the answers to many other motor vehicle insurance questions in the state of Florida, please go to:

Every automobile, motorcycle and/or boat owner in Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens and the entire state of Florida needs to know the insurance laws of our state. If you have been in an automobile, motorcycle or boat accident in Florida then you need an attorney who knows how to ask the right questions of both your insurance company AND the company representing the other side. The Board Certified lawyers from Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne are the right lawyers to get you the best settlement that you deserve based upon your unique set of circumstances.  We represent clients anywhere in the state of Florida.

If a person you care about gets hurt or killed in a car, motorcycle or boat accident, or you simply have a question about a potential personal injury situation that you have not yet had answered, please call us at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. We offer a free initial consultation, and our phone number is (561) 686-3400.

At Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne, we understand that motor vehicle accidents happen every day. We help our clients obtain payment to cover hospital and other medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more, if the situation warrants it. If you want to learn more about how to go about hiring the right attorneys for you in a situation where someone you love has been in an accident, then go to We also specialize in Wrongful Death & Serious Injury, Medical Malpractice, Defective Products, and many other types of legal situations where injury or death has occurred.

Whether you are in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Stuart, West Palm Beach or any other city in the state of Florida, you need to find and hire a law firm that has the level of knowledge and experience that will get you the financial results you deserve, while also working with you throughout your case until some type of resolution has been reached. With over four decades of experience, that firm is Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne.

Contact us directly at (561) 686-3400, or via email at


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s