What should I do if I get in an accident with an out-of-state driver in Florida?

Two cars involved in a collision or crash

Two days ago summer officially turned into fall. For all of us who live here in Florida it means that “season” is fast approaching. The time when snow birds from all over the northern states and Canada descend upon our beautiful state. It also means that the number of automobile accidents involving out-of-state drivers is about to rise substantially, as well.

Statistics tell us that Florida falls behind only California as the most visited state in the country – ahead of even New York, Texas and Nevada. Our state remains one of the highest traveled-to states in America – both by airplane, and of course by car. Our multiple metropolitan areas are centers of both tourism and business. As a result our state sees millions of out-of-state drivers cross our borders each year.

In most cases, out-of-state drivers carry insurance from their home state.  Automobile insurance coverage in other states is often different than the coverage required for Florida. Therefore, if you or someone you love gets involved in an accident with a driver from another state, or another country that you need to know in order to make sure you receive the proper treatment by everyone involved.

Information you should be aware of if you are involved in an accident caused by a person from another state:

  • You can bring a claim against the out of state driver
  • You can make your claim in Florida and if a lawsuit is filed you will be able to file the lawsuit in the county within Florida in which the accident occurred. Long-Arm Statute (Fl. Stat. 48.193) law provides that when a driver crosses into Florida, they automatically consent to appear in Florida Courts in the event of an automobile accident.
  • In most instances the out of state driver’s insurance will be valid for accidents which occur in Florida
  • You are entitled to receive a copy of the out of state driver’s insurance policy

It is important that after an automobile accident that you contact law enforcement and you wait at the scene with the other driver until they arrive.  While you are waiting on law enforcement to arrive and if you are physically able you should also take pictures of the other driver’s car including their license plate.  Also, don’t leave the scene without receiving the full name and address of the other driver, the name of their insurance company along with the policy number, if possible take a picture of their insurance card and driver’s license.

The lawyers at Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne are the right lawyers to get you the best settlement that you deserve based upon your unique set of circumstances.  When an out-of-state driver is involved, we conduct a thorough investigation, and make sure to ask the right questions of all companies and interested parties in your case. We represent clients anywhere in the state of Florida in cases against in-state or out-of-state perpetrators.

If you or a person you care about gets hurt or killed in a car, motorcycle or boating accident, or you simply have a question about a potential personal injury situation that you have not yet had answered, please call us at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. We offer a free initial consultation, and our phone number is (561) 686-3400.

At Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne, we understand that motor vehicle accidents happen every day. Unfortunately, they can be complicated by issues such as the driver who caused the accident comes from out of state, with out of state insurance coverage. We help our clients obtain payment to cover hospital and other medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more, if the situation warrants it. If you want to learn more about how we can help you in a situation where someone you love has been in an accident, then go to this page on our website: http://sswlawfl.com/areas-of-practice/accidents-serious-injury/. We also specialize in Wrongful Death & Serious Injury, Medical Malpractice, Defective Products, and many other types of legal situations where injury or death has occurred.

Whether you are in Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter, Stuart, West Palm Beach or any other city in the state of Florida, you need to find and hire a law firm that has the level of knowledge and experience that will get you the financial results you deserve, while also working with you throughout your case until some type of resolution has been reached. With over four decades of experience, that firm is Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne.

Contact us directly at (561) 686-3400, or via email at info@sswlawfl.com.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s