Yes, Halloween is here! Tomorrow late afternoon and evening, our neighborhood streets here in Jupiter, Palm Beach Gardens, West Palm Beach, Stuart and the Treasure Coast, Florida will be filled with children in their costumes walking around trick-or-treating. The air filled with sounds of laughter and reverie.
It is a night where all of us driving our automobiles need to be extra careful. Here are a few safety tips from all of us at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. to help you and your neighbors stay safe tomorrow night:
- Drive slowly, especially in any residential area – Better that you are a minute or two late than involved in a tragic accident with a pedestrian.
- Stay off your mobile phone – Try extra hard to avoid distractions on Halloween night. Children walking on the sides of the road can be unpredictable at normal times, and especially so when caught up in the excitement of trick-or-treating.
- Keep your eye out for children darting out into the street – The last point leads us right into this one. Be extra watchful of kids running out unexpectedly into the road.
- Some costumes limit a child’s visibility, so they might end up walking out into the road without even realizing they have done so.
- Turn your headlights on earlier than usual – make yourself as visible as possible.
- Do not pass stopped vehicles – A stopped vehicle could be dropping off trick-or-treaters. Take time to assess the situation and make sure there are no children around the stopped car before proceeding.
- Always yield to the children crossing the street, even if they are not in a cross walk. They may not see you, or they may not have been taught how to correctly cross a street. Either way, you can take it upon yourself to be cautious and safe, no matter what the younger pedestrians are doing Halloween night.
We thank Progressive Insurance and their article directly related to this topic. To read their entire article, go to: https://www.progressive.com/vehicle-resources/halloween-safety/
At Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne we strongly believe in sharing any information that can help prevent tragedy from happening – like these safe driving tips for Halloween night. We know that automobile accidents involving children happen, often with tragic consequences. To learn more about all the areas of law we practice, please go to: http://www.sswlawfl.com/areas-of-practice/. You can also contact us directly by phone at (561) 686-3400. We offer a free initial consultation, and there are no fees unless we collect for you on your case.
Our main offices are in Jupiter, Florida, and we have handled cases throughout south Florida and the Treasure Coast. We have been devoted to protecting south Florida families for over 40 years.