Through our blog here at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. we often talk about the needless tragedies caused by people who are texting or otherwise distracted while driving their vehicles. Distracted driving is leading directly to serious injuries and death on our roadways here in Jupiter, throughout Florida and the entire United States. April is Distracted Driver Awareness Month (National Safety Council). This is the perfect time to share some valuable tips on how you can minimize the risks of driving, and keeping your attention on your vehicle and what is going on around you on the roadway.
Here are the following steps you should be taking to avoid the dangers of driving:
- Wear your seat belt.
- Statistics show that seat belt wearers have a significantly higher chance of suffering less serious injury and death when wearing their seat belt. Published reports from James Madison University and the University of Washington found that when used properly seat belts reduce your risk of serious injury during an auto accident by 50%, and your risk of dying by a whopping 86%. https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/patient-safety-32/safety-and-public-health-news-585/seatbelts-why-you-should-buckle-up-648220.html
- Whenever you are going to drive, try to plan ahead and leave early if possible, giving yourself extra time to get to your destination.
- Giving yourself extra time makes you less stressed – and also one less excuse for picking up the phone and texting or calling ahead to tell someone that you are running late.
- Be careful and extra aware in work/construction zones.
- Here in Florida, there are currently multiple construction zones at night along most of our major highways (particularly I-95). There is big risk involved for the workers who are often close to the moving vehicles. Be extra aware and cautious when you see workers and active construction going on.
- Do not let yourself be distracted.
- Do not text. Do not let passengers (especially children) distract your attention. Do not let animals distract you either. Any distraction can significantly delay your response time, which can be the difference between avoiding an accident and being involved in one. Your vehicle can turn into a dangerous projectile in less than a second.
- Have a plan for any troubles that can happen during your trip.
- If you are not prepared for your vehicle breaking down or having a flat tire, you will be at the mercy of local towing companies and random service companies that could take advantage of you and your situation.
- Make sure your proof of insurance is up to date and easily accessible.
- Create for yourself safe phone useage rules while driving. And do everything you can to stick to them.
- This might sound a bit corny – but the truth is that we have become so used to driving in our society that most of us take the very real risk of driving each time we get behind the wheel for granted. As mentioned earlier, any vehicle can turn into a dangerous, high speed projectile instantaneously. We should always be mindful of that fact.
This list of tips comes directly from an article recently published on the insurance industry online magazine website PropertyCasualty360.com, written by Rosalie L. Donlon. To read this entire article go to: http://www.propertycasualty360.com/2017/04/11/minimize-your-risk-of-distracted-driving-with-thes?ref=most-popular&slreturn=1492549095
If you are injured in an auto accident because the other driver or you were texting or otherwise distracted, you may have a right to bring a claim for various damages and injuries incurred. Call us at Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. We offer a free initial consultation, and our phone number is (561) 686-3400.
At Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne, we know that automobile accidents involving cell phone usage or other momentary distractions happen all the time. If you are in an accident because of the willful negligence of another driver then you need to contact us right away. We help our clients obtain payment to cover hospital and other medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more, if the situation warrants it.
If you want to learn more about how we can help you in a situation where someone you love has been in an auto accident, then go to this page on our website: http://www.sswlawfl.com/areas-of-practice/auto-accident/. We also specialize in Slip and Fall accidents, Wrongful Death & Serious Injury, Medical Malpractice, Defective Products, and many other types of legal situations where injury or death has occurred.
Our main office is conveniently located in Jupiter, Florida. We have proudly served south Florida including Palm Beach Gardens, West Palm Beach, Palm Beach, Tequesta and the Treasure Coast as well as anyone in the state of Florida who needs a law firm who knows how to protect your rights, for over 40 years.