Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. definitions: implications of the legal definition of a “Wrongful death”


Most people have a general idea of what the term “wrongful death” means. In layman’s terms, for someone to die a wrongful death a person’s death is unnaturally caused by another person’s negligence or during the act of another crime.

The following excerpt comes right from

Wrongful Death –

“the death of a human being as the result of a wrongful act of another person. Such wrongful acts include: negligence (like careless driving), an intentional attack such as assault and/or battery, a death in the course of another crime, vehicular manslaughter, manslaughter or murder. Wrongful death is the basis for a lawsuit (wrongful death action) against the party or parties who caused the death filed on behalf of the members of the family who have lost the company and support of the deceased. Thus, a child might be entitled to compensation for the personal loss of a father as well as the amount of financial support the child would have received from the now-dead parent while a minor, a wife would recover damages for loss of her husband’s love and companionship and a lifetime of expected support, while a parent would be limited to damages for loss of companionship but not support. A lawsuit for wrongful death may be filed by the executor or administrator of the estate of the deceased or by the individual beneficiaries (family members).”

To read the entire definition go to:

The definition is straight-forward and relatively easy to understand. There are important explanations described in this definition, however that have direct implications for those who are left behind in the wake of a wrongful death.

  1. A child may be entitled to compensation for both the personal loss of a parent AND for the financial support he or she would have received while a minor (usually the age of 18, but can be deemed longer).
  2. A wife may be entitled to additional compensation for the loss of her husband’s love, companionship AND expected financial support.
  3. A parent is limited to damages for loss of companionship, but NOT for any financial support (accept in special cases where the child has already been established as the financial provider for the parents – and even this type of case has contingencies).
  4. A lawsuit for wrongful death maybe filed by a variety of entities involved:
    1. The individual beneficiaries
    2. The executor of the deceased’s estate
    3. The administrator of the deceased’s estate

If you have lost a loved one that was caused due to the negligence of another, we understand that it can be complicated trying to figure out your legal rights. Slinkman, Slinkman & Wynne, P.A. can help. We can help you file a wrongful death claim against the responsible parties. And we work with you until your case is resolved.

At Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne, we understand that a Wrongful Death can occur without warning. Whatever happened, we also know that it is tragic for all of the loved ones left behind. We help our clients obtain payment to cover funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and more, if the situation warrants it. If you want to learn more about how to go about hiring the right attorneys for you in a situation where someone you love has wrongfully died, then go to We also specialize in Accident & Serious Injury, Medical Malpractice, Defective Products and many other types of legal situations where injury or death has occurred.

Whether you are in West Palm Beach, Jupiter, Stuart, Palm Beach Gardens or any other place in Florida, you need to find and hire a law firm that has the level of knowledge and experience that will get you the financial results you deserve, while also working with you throughout your case until some type of resolution has been reached. With over four decades of experience, that firm is Slinkman, Slinkman, & Wynne, where we have been devoted to protecting South Florida families for over 40 years.

Our main office is located in south Florida in Jupiter at 1015 W. Indiantown Road, Suite 101A. You can contact us directly at (561) 686-3400, or via email at